Three Cheese Baked Eggs with Roasted PeppersFrom APPLEGATE INN
- 3 medium red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 9 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 oz 1 2 cups coarsely grated extra sharp cheddar
- 8 oz 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2 oz)
- 3 scallions, finely chopped (1 2 cups)
- 1 thin slivers of scallion greens
Roast peppers on racks over gas burners over high heat turning with tongs, until
skins are blackened, 10 - 12 minutes or broil peppers about 5 inches from heat,
turning occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap, then let stand 20 minutes.
When cool enough to handle, peel peppers, discarding stems and seeds, and cut
into 1/3 inch dice.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together flour, salt and baking powder into a small bowl.
Beat eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium high speed until
doubled in volume, about 3 minutes.
Add butter, flour mixture and cheeses and mix well at low speed, then stir in
peppers and scallions.
Pour into a buttered 10 inch (6 cup) glass pie plate and bake in the middle of the
oven until top is golden brown and a tester comes out clean, 30 - 35 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Active time: 45 minutes, Start to finish: 1 2 hour.