Green Chile StrataFrom A PLACE IN TIME
Cooking Time:45 minutes
- 6 -8 Flour Tortillas
- 2 8-oz cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 pound Canadian bacon cut into slivers
- 4 cups grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- Garnish with green onions or other green or red vegetable
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento (or diced tomatoes)
Grease a 9x13 baking pan. Cover bottom with tortillas to fit without overlapping. Sprinkle with half of the chopped chiles, half the slivered Canadian Bacon or ham, and then half the cheese. Repeat layers ending with the cheese.
Combine eggs and milk in bowl. Pour over the layered ingredients. Let stand in refrigerator at least hour or overnight.
Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until strata is slightly puffed and bubbly. Cool 5 minutes, then cut into squares.
Adapted from The Peach Tree Tea Room Cookbook, Cynthia Collins Pedregon, Author