Dutch Apple PancakesFrom ANNVILLE INN BED & BREAKFAST
To serve four, use two Pie Plates - or for two, use one pie plate and cut recipe in half. Each pie plate or round cake pan makes two pancakes. I prefer using glass baking dishes for more even baking.
Serve hot - good with syrups and/or confectionate sugar - or yummy just as it is.
Pre-Heat oven to 400 degrees
Ingredients are based on serving four:
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 flour
- 3/4 Milk*
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 2 Medium apples thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder to help rise
- 4 tbsp. butter* - for melting in bottom of pan in oven (2 tbsp. per pie plate)
- *I do use 1% milk and low fat "real" butter
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Prepare baking dishes by spraying with oil
- Peel apples and slice into thin slices - planning for one apple per dish
- After preparing baking dishes, add two tbsp. of butter to each dish and place in oven for one to two minutes in order to melt butter. Then take out of oven and swish around to coat the bottom and sides of baking dish.
- Add sliced apples to prepared baking dish - spreading evenly around the bottom - set aside while preparing batter
- Beat eggs, flour, milk, vanilla, almond extract, baking powder and salt together for one minute. The baking powder helps it rise.
- Pour the mixed batter evenly over the apples - sharing between two dishes
Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over batter in each pan. Mix a bit more if needed.
Bake until puffed and lightly browned about 20 - 25 minutes. Once out of oven the pancake does settle.