Southern Holiday Sweet Potato Praline PieFrom CLIFF COTTAGE INN - LUXURY B&B SUITES & HISTORIC COTTAGES
Prep Time:45-50 mins.
Cooking Time:45 mins.
This is a delicious version of the Sweet Potato Praline Pie that finds its way onto so many Arkansas tables during the holidays. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you away. If you're a purist, you can always use and cook real sweet potatoes (about 18-oz. make 1-2/3 cups of mashed) but I find canned serves just as well without all that extra work. You can make this pie as many as two days ahead as long as you keep it in the fridge.
The Fine Print: There are about 460 calories per slice but don't tell anybody! Goes great with a cup of hot apple cider!
- One 17.2 oz.can whole sweet potatoes, drained & mashed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (don't cheat and use other type of syrup, only pure!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs (preferably from free-range hens!)
- 1 cup buttermilk (don't use just plain milk unless you put 1T vinegar or lemon juice in a cup of milk, stire and let stand 5 mins.)
- One 9 Pre-baked Pie Shell (can be a frozen one you bake or a ready-made one)
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup in addition to above amount
- 1 tablespoon milk, whole
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped fairly fine
- 1 cup marshmallows (smallest size)
- 2 tablespoons (ooptional) Brandy
l. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. FOR FILLING
Stir in large bowl sweet potatoes, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and salt. Add the eggs and beat lightly by hand with whisk or fork until combined -- don't overbeat! Stir in buttermilk and combine all together well.
3. Put pre-baked pie shell on cookie sheet and gently spoon potato filling into the pie shell (I put foil on the sheet so that if it spills over in baking, you won't have an hour's worth of scrubbing to clean the cookie sheet.) Put on middle rack in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
4. While above is baking, melt butter in saucepan over medium heat being careful not to burn the butter. Stir in brown sugar, 2T maple syrup and the 1T milk. Stir constantly until mixture comes to gentle boil.
5. Remove pie shell from oven and sprinkle partially baked shell with the pecans, marshmallows and drizzle the brandy over nuts/mallows.
6. Spoon hot brown sugar /syrup mixture over the top of the nuts/mallows and put pie back into oven to bake for an additional 15 or 20 minutes. Center of pie should be "set" when you shake it gently.
7. Cool on wire rack for a least 1 hour. Cover with plasticwrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours before attempting to serve.