Dried Wild Blueberry SconesFrom 1801 FIRST INN
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour 1/3 cup sugar 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried wild blueberries
- 1 grated zest from one orange
- 1 egg wash made from one egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup turbinado or other coarse sugar
Preheat oven to 425
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Scatter butter pieces over the top. Briefly pulse the mixture a number of times until the mixture resembles a coarse meal with small pea size pieces of butter remaining.
Add the buttermilk and the zest and the dried blueberries. Pulse the mixture again until the dough just starts to come together. Transfer to a lightly floured counter. Gather together into two equal sized portions. Form each into a disc, about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. Cut each half into six wedges and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Brush each wedge with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly golden and the scones just spring back.