10 Ways to Make Walking Fun
|This dog was made for walkin'!|
1. Start up a walking group with some neighbors, coworkers or friends. You'll enjoy being outside and each other's company, you can support each other and have fun while doing it! This will help you to maintain this healthy habit.
2. Get a dog or just borrow one - it's a great way to enjoy being outside, and get in a couple of good walks every day. Being out in your neighborhood is also a good thing. The stats say the more people out and about the lower the possibility of crime. Volunteer to walk dogs for the Humane Society or local animal shelter. Ask an elderly neighbor if you can walk their dog, I guarantee you they will be thrilled.
3. Discover a trail by a stream, river, or park. Have we got the walk for you: Waid Homestead just a couple miles from The Claiborne House that follows a stream and there is even a waterfall! or hit our town of Rocky Mount, you will see we are very hilly. :)
4. Bring something with you: use a walking stick, sometimes its fun to have something to tap along, or a camera and photograph the lovely gardens or birds you see along the way.
5. Give yourself a reward. Put $1-2 in a jar each time you go out for a walk. On the last day of the month, spend the money on yourself. How about a new book, a brightly colored hat, a mani/pedi or a new pair of walking shoes?
6. Don't forget the other rewards: Walking can help improve your attitude and put some cheer into your step, you may lose weight, look and feel better, gain more energy, improve your health, sleep better, and limit your time in front of the TV or PC.
7. Buy an iPod and listen to your favorite music as you walk. Don't forget to smile at those you meet and make their day brighter!
8. Use your walk to deliver some fresh-baked goodies or homegrown veggies to a neighbor.
9. Walking and talking: Having someone with you who enjoys a nice walk is encouraging. You can always use your walk time to return phone calls and stay in touch with relatives, use a Bluetooth (and forgetabout all the people who now think you are talking to yourself as you walk!).
I hope you have fun getting outside and exploring! If it's cold outside, slap on a hat and gloves.
More ideas from our Sites of Interest page
The Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast in Rocky Mount, VA - Blue Ridge Country! You can book your room online at any time right here http://www.claibornehouse.net/