Down on The Crooked Road
(Award winning bluegrass kid Johnathon Dillon website here. You can hear Johnathon play at any number of wing dings here in Franklin County when not on the road.)
The Dixie Bee Liners sing about this incredible road "The Crooked Road: Virginia's Heritage Music Trail" This is where it all started y'all! It was "borned" here. What? Bluegrass and Mountain music of course!
The first stop on this music trail is in Rocky Mount VA - One block behind The Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast at The Depot. Plan on seeing live bluegrass and mountain music there the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month. Bill Fuller puts this on as "Footlights of The Blue Ridge" heritage music program.
- Franklin County has more weekly jams than any other spot on this music trail. Wing dings, toe tappin' events. http://www.thecrookedroad.org/community_detail.asp?ID=1005
- Floyd Country Store - Friday Night Jamboree and more http://www.floydcountrystore.com/
- Crooked Road Trail Map http://www.thecrookedroad.org/map/mapfl.asp
- List of weekly jams all along this music trail http://www.thecrookedroad.org/vasearch.asp?ID=MUSIC
- Recreation along this trail http://www.thecrookedroad.org/vasearch.asp?ID=OS
The Crooked Road: Virginia's Heritage Music Trail was also nominated as one of the Top Ten Distinctive Destinations by the National Trust for Historic Preservation! As you will see, this is more than a road.
USA TODAY article on The Crooked Road
VIRGINIA IS FOR MOUNTAIN MUSIC LOVERS
Life is too short for bad coffee... Shellie @ The Claiborne House Bed and Breakfast in Rocky Mount Virginia http://www.claibornehouse.net