The beautiful little town of Rockwood, PA is often known as the "Trail Town." The lovely parks and backpacking trails, along with the fun amusement parks, make this friendly community a great place to visit with lots of things to do.
Laurel Hill State Park
1454 Laurel Hill Park Road
Somerset, PA 15501-5629
Laurel Hill State Park offers almost 4,000 acres of gorgeous mountains and countryside, along with the beautiful 63-acre Laurel Hill Lake. This amazing park is located off of Pennsylvania Route 31, about 8 miles from Interstate 76.
The Hemlock Trail twists around the first section of the Lauren Hill Creek with great rocks and boulders, and then wraps around the only virgin trees left that the loggers couldn't remove, in the Hemlock Natural Area.
Activities at Laurel Hill State Park
Guests will enjoy all of the following activities including winter sports at the Laurel Hill State Park, while staying at a nearby Rockwood bed and breakfast.
- Hunting: Hunting is permitted at Laurel Hill State Park around Rockwood, PA, following specific times and regulations.
- Swimming: Swimming is usually from about the end of May until mid-September.
- Picnic Areas: Three picnic areas can be found at Laurel Hill State Park for guests to enjoy.
- Snowmobile trail
- Cross-country skiing
- Ice fishing
Idlewild and SoakZone
Rt. 30 East
Ligonier, PA 15658
Located along U.S. Route 30 in the Laurel Highlands is the Idlewild and SoakZone. This park was awarded by Amusement Today as the "Best Kid's Park." The National Amusement Park Historical Association selected this fantastic theme park as a "Top Five Park for Families," making a nearby Rockwood Inn a great place for guests to vacation. The Idlewild and SoakZone usually opens around the end of May, with the closing times varying at about the end of August or beginning of September, and then sometimes opening again for a short time in October. Season passes are available here.
This fun park consists of the following:
- Soak Zone: Numerous water activities including tubes and body slides are here, along with the swimming pools and water games.
- Hootin' Holler: This historical village represents the 19th century Western town consisting of rides replicating a tornado, a toboggan and more.
- Raccoon Lagoon: This 9-acre area is geared toward younger children, offering a trolley ride based on the popular show of the local Fred Rogers.
- Jumpin' Jungle: The Jumpin' Jungle is a magnificent play area for children along with slides, a suspension bridge, and climbing areas.
- Story Book Forest: Life-size adaptations of storybook characters and fairytales can be found.
- Ligonier Highland Games: The highland games and events are held usually in September. This attraction normally receives more than 10,000 guests.
There are several antique shops that are available to browse during your Rockwood, PA stay, with a great selection of antiques such as the Rockwood Mill Shoppes and Opera House, Somerset Galleries, Shoemakers' Antiques and Sugar Grove Shoppes.