The historic town of Galena, well known for its beautiful scenery and architecture, is fast becoming famous for one of the most popular Galena things to do: play golf. In fact, golf enthusiasts consider Galena as one of the premier destinations for golf in the Midwest. BBonline points you to the most beautiful golf courses in and around Galena.
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa
100 East Point Dr.
Galena, IL 61036
This 63-hole golfing destination set among the lovely rolling hills, valleys and magnificent rock formations of Galena, covers thousands of acres and features a sparkling lake. Top notch PGA certified professional instructors are on call at the Eagle Ridge Golf Academy for those who wish to hone their skills.
The resort was listed among the "Best Resort Golf Courses in America" by Golfweek and Golf Digest. The resort has 4 award-winning golf courses:
- The General Course - This 18-hole golf course is the crowning glory of the resort and the designers, Andy North and Roger B. Packard, consider it as their finest. The Golf Digest ranks it as one of the top 100 golf courses in America. Limestone cliffs and thick oak forests frame the 18 holes. Two-time U.S. Open Champion North says of the signature hole 14:"It's unlike any course I've ever played and should be ranked as one of the best resort layouts in the world."
- East Course - Designed for all skill levels, this 9-hole course will test your accuracy, putting touch and shotmaking to the hilt.
- North Course - On this challenging 18-hole course, you will find plush undulating greens, views of the beautiful countryside and elevated tees.
- South Course - This course cuts through a heavily forested valley, and the soothing sounds of streams and creeks add to the playing pleasures of 11 of the 18 holes. Rocky outcrops create drama. This golf course is one you must make a point to check out during your stay at your Galena Bed and Breakfast.
Lacoma Golf Club
8080 Timmerman Dr.
East Dubuque, IL 61025-1343
Located 15 miles from Galena, and just a five-minute drive from downtown Dubuque in Iowa, this beautifully designed golf club overlooks the Mississippi River. You can enjoy spectacular views from all the tree-lined courses in this club: two 18-hole courses and a 9-hole par 3 course.
- The Red Course designed for the intermediatelevel golfer is in a lightly wooded area.
- The Blue Course for experienced golfers is situated in a magnificent heavily forested area.
- The Gold Course (the 9-hole par 3 course) without much greenery, is designed for beginners and intermediate level players.
Apple Canyon Lake Course
East Apple Canyon Road
Apple River, IL 61001
This public golf course is one of the most scenic courses in Northwest Illinois, and just 11 miles from Galena. The challenging 9-hole course in Jo Daviess County meanders through the Apple Canyon at the pristine Apple Canyon Lake. The lake, stretching across 3 miles, has consistently been ranked among the top ten for the quality and clarity of its water. So don't forget to head out to this beautiful spot from your Galena Inn.