Volcano Restaurants offer some delicious authentic Hawaiian dishes. Here are a few dishes you just have to taste while in Volcano, and a few restaurants that serve them.
Must-Try Hawaiian Dishes
- Lau-lau - Probably the most well known of Hawaiian dishes, this is a mix of pork, chicken or beef and salted butterfish wrapped in taro leaves and cooked in an underground oven. The leaf gives a great flavor to the succulent contents.
- Plate Lunch - The popular plate lunch is a serving of local dishes accompanied by white rice and Hawaiian macaroni salad.
- Poke - If you like sushi, you will probably enjoy this raw fish salad. Usually tuna (ahi) is used. The traditional method is to mix the fish with seaweed, kukui nut oil and sea salt, but today sesame oil and soy sauce are added to the dish.
Other traditional dishes worth trying in Volcano restaurants are:
- Kalua Pork - Pork smoked in ti leaves
- Mahi Mahi - A native fish prized for its rich flavor
- Lomi Salmon - A salad of salmon, fresh tomatoes and onions
- Squid or Chicken Luau - Steamed in taro leaves and coconut milk
- Limu Salad - Blanched black seaweed with onions, tomatoes and cucumber
Make sure you enjoy these mouth-watering treats while at your Volcano Bed and Breakfast.
Hawaii is full of immigrants and there are plenty of delicious fusion dishes you can sample on your holiday.
- Spam Musubi - This will remind you of sushi. It’s rice packed tightly into a rectangle, topped with a piece of spam (pre-cooked canned mix of ham and pork shoulder), and wrapped in dried seaweed.
- Chicken Long Rice - Inspired by the Chinese, this dish is a blend of long rice noodles, broth, chicken, ginger and green onions.
- Saimin - Many cultures simmer together in this noodle soup made with wheat egg noodles, Japanese soup stock, green onions, Chinese cabbage, fish cake, meat and seaweed. The dish is often accompanied with teriyaki meat sticks.
Restaurants in Volcano that Serve Authentic Hawaiian Cuisine
19-4005 Haunani Road
Volcano, Hawaii 96785
Apart from a gamut of continental dishes, the café serves Hawaiian style chopped steak with rice and other traditional Hawaiian cuisine.
Volcano's Lava Rock Café
19-3972 Old Volcano Hwy
Volcano, Hawaii 96785
This place is famous among Volcano restaurants for its plate lunch, Lau-lau and fusion cuisine like the unique Loco Moco - white rice topped with Mahi-Mahi, Kalua Pork or teriyaki meat, fried egg and brown gravy.
Volcano Golf & Country Club
Pii Mauna Drive
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii 96718
This elegant restaurant located in Volcanoes National Park is probably the only place in Volcano for decent romantic candlelit dinners. It has a reputation for good service and excellent food and offers dramatic views of the active Kilauea volcanic crater. Some of the authentic Hawaiian dishes you can try here are the Kahlua Pork with cabbage and rice, Loco Moco and fried Mahi Mahi with mashed potatoes. There’s also the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi with Pacific Fusion Sauce and much more. This is a fine restaurant in a beautiful setting to dine at during your stay at your cozy Volcano Inn.
P.O. Box 52
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii 96718-0052
This award-winning restaurant in the famous park perches on the rim of an active volcano and offers spectacular views of Kilauea Caldera and the Halema’uma’u Crater. It has lunch and breakfast buffets as well as romantic dinners. The menu includes some authentic Hawaiian dishes like Kalua Pork.